EMPOWERED COMMUNITIES: CAPACITY BUILDING FOR ETHNO-CULTURAL ORGANIZATIONS
The Empowered Communities program supports ethno-cultural communities using the Community Engagement approach, where the path to greater self-reliance must involve a process that empowers people and one that builds community and organizational capacity. We aim to engage communities from a set of values that is fundamentally strengths-based, promoting collective working, learning and reflecting, participation, political awareness and sustainable change.
WHAT WE OFFER
Ethno-cultural groups can access the following supports:
- Assistance to leadership with identifying community needs through participatory needs assessment processes and engaging with the communities that they serve
- Information regarding grants, program support and implementation
- Assistance with program design, delivery and evaluation
- Training and workshops in board development, volunteer recruitment, strategic planning, community engagement and grant writing
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK
A member of the Empowered Communities team will meet with the members of the ethno-cultural group to jointly determine areas where the group can use support and areas where EMCN can assist. We connect the group to various community resources and/or work with the group over an agreed upon period of time to accomplish their goals. Ethno-cultural groups will also receive information about community events for their membership, and will be able to access periodic workshops and training sessions on different aspects of organizational development.
WHO CAN ACCESS THESE SERVICES?
- Any ethno-cultural group in Edmonton, both registered and unregistered as an association.
WHERE IS THE PROGRAM OFFERED?
Our Empowered Communities staff are based out of our EMCN Eastwood Location, 12023 81 Street NW, however, we’d be happy to meet with your group in a location that is convenient for you.
HOW TO ACCESS SERVICES
If you are a leader of an ethno-cultural organization, contact the Program Coordinator to set up a meeting.