CAREERS IN BUSINESS
The Careers in Business program overall objective is to assist Internationally Educated Professionals (IEP’s) with experience in business enhance a broad range of employability skills and explore career paths directly related to their previous industry or sector or alternative paths to employment in small andmedium local businesses, not-for-profits, professional associations and accreditation bodies.
Careers in Business will focus on supporting IEP’s with education and experience in the following business-related occupations and/or industry sectors:
- Marketing and Communications
- Public Administration
- Information Systems
Careers in Business specific objectives are to:
- Increase ownership and accountability for their own success in IEPs, leading to heightened capability, increased dedication to the work they must do in the program, boosted morale, a fostering of innovation, and higher levels of satisfaction which will then be carried forward into the Canadian workplace;
- Expand IEPs’ knowledge of the Canadian labour market and identify alternative career paths;
- Provide an individualized and tailored approach to participants by providing individual coaching sessions, participatory group trainings, e-learning components, mentorship opportunities, and work experience; and
- Enable IEPS to secure employment through improved identification of needs using individual coaching sessions, work experience, real-life simulations, etc.
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
This program is delivered twice yearly to 15 eligible applicants each time.
Program start dates:
- April 1, 2021
- September 1, 2021
- February 1, 2022
- July 4, 2022
The program is 5 months in duration and includes:
- 12 weeks in-class, in both face-to-face and virtual settings, developing workplace culture and communication skills and exploring direct and alternative career paths in the Alberta labour market,
- 8 weeks of work experience with an Edmonton employer where skills learned in the classroom will be applied, and
- Additional supported job search provided to all participants.
WHO CAN ACCESS THE SERVICES?
Candidates must fulfill the following eligibility requirements:
- Graduate of a degree program from an international institution with significant study and experience in the business-related occupations and/or industry sectors
- Unemployed or marginally employed
- Permanent resident or new Canadian Citizen; resident of Alberta
- Language proficiency of Canadian Language Benchmark 5 or higher in all areas: reading, writing, speaking and listening
- High motivation and commitment to completing the program
WHERE IS THE PROGRAM OFFERED?
Careers in Business is offered at:
- EMCN Central - 10170 - 112 Street NW, 780 424 7709