NEWCOMER ESSENTIAL SKILLS TRAINING (NEST)
The Newcomer Essential Skills Training (NEST) program supports skills training through the development and enhancement of essential skills which include: reading text, use of documents, writing, working with numbers, oral communication, thinking skills, working with others, computer use and continuous learning.
WHAT WE OFFER
Graduates of Newcomer Essential Skills Training benefit from:
- Enhanced essential skills needed to participate in the larger social, community, and economic environment,
- Business communication proficiency and understanding of the Canadian workplace culture, and
- Awareness of the labour market trends and improved ability to conduct a successful job search or research further training and education opportunities.
NEST is an applied learning program which offers an individualized and tailored approach to learning by providing individual coaching sessions, participatory group trainings focused on facilitated applied-learning, and workplace exposure.
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
This program is delivered twice yearly to 20 eligible applicants. The program is full time for 5 months in duration.
WHO CAN ACCESS THESE SERVICES?
Candidates must fulfill the following eligibility requirements:
- Possess a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) score of 4 in speaking, listening, reading and ,writing
- 18 years old or more at time of program application,
- Permanent resident or new Canadian Citizen and reside in Alberta,
- Unemployed or marginally employed, or qualify for Employment Insurance (EI) benefits, and
- Demonstrate readiness, willingness, and ability to complete the full 5 months of programming.
WHERE IS THE PROGRAM OFFERED?
Newcomer Essential Skills Training is offered at:
- EMCN Central - 10170 - 112 Street NW, 780 424 7709