CARE FOR NEWCOMER CHILDREN
Learners in Language Instruction for Newcomers (LINC) classes at EMCN’s Northeast and Eastwood locations are eligible for childminding services at no cost under the Care for Newcomer Children program for children from 6 months to 5 years of age. We offer a welcoming, safe and understanding environment in which newcomer preschoolers can learn and play while their parents learn English.
WHAT WE OFFER
Learners benefit from:
- Peace of mind of having children close by as parents attend LINC class
- Attending an innovative childcare centre licensed by the Alberta Government and in compliance with the Care for Newcomer Children guidelines
- Staff certified by the Alberta Government and who understand the challenges faced by newcomer families
- Children will learn English in a multi-cultural setting
- Nutritious snacks for the children while at the centre
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK
When a newcomer registers for LINC, we also determine if they will require childcare in order to attend LINC class. Children start in our Care for Newcomer Children centre at the same time a parent starts LINC. The operating hours of the centre correspond with the times that classes are in session. Parents are always welcome in the centre; we are happy to update parents on the progress of their children. We can also provide a quiet space for breastfeeding mothers.
WHO CAN ACCESS THESE SERVICES?
Newcomer children are eligible for the program if:
- Their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) have registered and been admitted into LINC
- They are between 6 months and 5 years of age
- Space is available at one of our two centres; If space is not available, parents will be referred to our Community-Based Care for Newcomer Children program or put on the waitlist until a space opens up
WHERE IS THE PROGRAM OFFERED?
Care for Newcomer Children is offered at several locations in Edmonton. Current locations are as follows:
- EMCN Northeast - 11713 – 82 Street NW
- EMCN Eastwood - 12023 - 81 St NW, Room 103
HOW TO ACCESS SERVICES
Newcomers have the opportunity to register their pre-school aged children for this program when they register for LINC classes.