COMMUNITY-BASED CARE FOR NEWCOMER CHILDREN
Low-income learners in Language Instruction for Newcomers (LINC) classes anywhere in Edmonton are eligible for childcare at no cost in a licensed daycare or day home under the Community-Based Care for Newcomer Children program for children aged 5 or younger.
WHAT WE OFFER
Learners benefit from:
- Their choice of childcare provider in a location that is convenient for them
- Assistance in selecting a childcare provider and accessing the Alberta Childcare Subsidy
- Flexible hours of childcare enabling parents to get to and from their LINC class
- Access to a Settlement Practitioner to connect the family to additional resources and supports depending on the family’s needs
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK
When a newcomer registers for LINC at any LINC provider in the city, the Registrar determines if they will require childcare in order to attend LINC class and refers the family to EMCN. With the generous support of the Government of Canada, we make available a federal top-up childcare subsidy to low-income newcomers in LINC that “tops-up” the existing provincial childcare subsidy. Parents choose a childcare provider that works for them and children can remain in the daycare or day home as long as the parents remain in LINC classes.
WHO CAN ACCESS THESE SERVICES?
Newcomer children are eligible for the program if:
- Their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) have registered and been admitted into LINC
- The parents have been referred to the program by the Registrar of a LINC provider in Edmonton
- Parents are deemed eligible for the full provincial childcare subsidy (we help parents to determine this)
- The children are 5 years of age or younger
WHERE IS THE PROGRAM OFFERED?
Community-Based Care for Newcomer Children is available at any licensed daycare or day home in Edmonton provided childcare space is available and that the childcare provider agrees to participate in the program.
HOW TO ACCESS SERVICES
Newcomers with preschoolers are referred to this program when they register for LINC classes at any LINC provider in Edmonton.