ENHANCED SETTLEMENT FOR COMPLEX SITUATIONS
We offer holistic and individualized support to refugees and immigrants who face multiple challenges preventing their settlement. We aim to build the capacity of newcomers so that they can take charge of addressing their challenges while at the same time we provide expertise in way-finding and supportive counselling as newcomers implement their action plans.
WHAT WE OFFER
Newcomers benefit from:
- A client-driven action plan to address settlement challenges
- Brokerage support between the client and government systems (income support, justice system, labour standards, etc.)
- Information on an individual’s rights and responsibilities as an Alberta resident
- Accompaniment on important appointments such as to court, the doctor or Alberta Works offices
- Support to the client to develop problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Coping strategies and access to resources to prevent crises such as homelessness, family violence or bankruptcy
- Supported referrals to skill building programs in areas such as financial literacy or parenting
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK
A newcomer family or individual typically works with a complex case worker over a period of weeks or months, during which time the individual(s) and the complex case worker collaboratively develop an action plan to reduce identified settlement and integration barriers. With the support of the complex case worker, the client will take manageable steps towards addressing barriers. In some cases, a team-based wraparound process is used.
WHO CAN ACCESS THESE SERVICES?
Newcomers are eligible to access Enhanced Settlement if they meet the following criteria:
- Immigrant Albertans who are Permanent Residents of Canada
- Refugees under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act who have been given convention refugee status (and have been issued a ‘Notice of Decision’)
- Canadian citizens, or
- Refugee claimants
WHERE IS THE PROGRAM OFFERED?
Settlement Services are offered at the following locations:
- EMCN Northeast - 11713 – 82 Street NW - 780 424 7709
- EMCN West End Community Connections - 10030 – 167 Street NW - 780 489 7004
- Welcome Centre for Immigrants - Suite 200, Tower II, Millbourne Mall, 7609 38 Ave Millwoods Road NW - 780 462 6924
HOW TO ACCESS SERVICES
Newcomers are generally referred to these services by a Settlement Practitioner or other community agency. To refer a client, please contact Rispah Tremblay at 780 423 9522.