WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
We prepare newcomers for the Canadian workplace through training programs, career counselling, workshops and provision of exposure courses (tickets). Through our programs, newcomers acquire skills and knowledge of Canadian standards, laws and workplace norms. Many possess specialized skills and experiences unique to internationally educated professionals important for new market development.
- Helping newcomers learn English
- Meeting people from other cultures
- Making friends
- Learning new skills
- Gaining valuable experiences
- Building a welcoming, multicultural Edmonton
- Making a difference!
WHAT WE EXPECT OF YOU
- Treat all clients, staff and volunteers with respect
- Volunteer for at least 3 months
- Be punctual and keep your commitments
- Be willing to take direction
- Communicate and work well with agency staff
FORMS YOU NEED TO COMPLETE
To volunteer at EMCN, you must:
- Sign a Volunteer Agreement
- Be in harmony with the EMCN Mission, Values, Confidentiality Statement & Code of Ethics for Volunteers
- Provide the names and contact details of 2 references
- Complete police and child intervention clearances
While you wait for the forms to be returned to EMCN, you may be offered the opportunity to observe your chosen activity.
EMCN welcomes students from a variety of fields who are considering a practicum placement for their college or university courses. If you are interested, please enquire at your place of study as EMCN staff agree on practicum placements directly with educational institutions.
Volunteers work at EMCN offices:
- 11713 - 82 Street
- 8914 - 118 Avenue
- #200, Tower II, Millbourne Market Mall (38 Avenue and Millwoods Road)
- Schools and outreach locations around Edmonton
People across Edmonton have been reaching out to us to volunteer and be a part of the work we do. As more opportunities become available, we invite you join us as a volunteer.
- Do you want to get to know new people?
- Are you willing to unpack your preconceptions and engage in a mutual learning experience?
- Are you a newcomer yourself and want to walk with others in their settlement journey?
- Are you open to working with people from diverse cultures?
Thank you for applying to volunteer with the Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers! Please use this form to tell us about yourself so we can make a placement that works for you and the newcomers who attend EMCN.