WHAT WE CAN OFFER YOU
The EMCN Volunteer Program encourages people from Canada & around the world to join together through volunteering. We work collaboratively with community members to value diversity and promote full participation for newcomers in all aspects of society.
We recruit and support volunteers for programs at 10-15 EMCN and community outreach sites. Each one has a distinct environment, so the kinds of volunteers needed and the specific role varies from program to program.
Flowing from this mission and work, we pursue the following outcomes:
- More newcomers enrich their settlement journeys through voluntarism.
- Volunteers engage positively with newcomers in support of their settlement journeys.
- EMCN provides opportunities for volunteers to have transformational experiences through meaningful community work.
- Volunteers, staff, newcomers and community partners collaborate for mutual learning around interculturalism and the immigrant experience.
We also welcome students from a variety of fields who are considering a practicum placement for their college or university courses. If you are interested, please enquire at your place of study as EMCN staff agree on practicum placements directly with educational institutions.
WHAT WE EXPECT OF YOU
- Treat all clients, staff and volunteers with respect.
- Volunteer for at least 3 months as most of our programs require time to build trust with clients.
- Be willing to be present, participate fully and take direction.
- Be willing to take direction.
- Communicate and work well with the team.
FORMS YOU NEED TO COMPLETE
To volunteer at EMCN, you must:
- Sign a Volunteer Agreement
- Be in harmony with the EMCN Mission, Values, Confidentiality Statement & Code of Ethics for Volunteers
- Provide the names and contact details of two references
- Complete police checks and if required, child intervention clearances.
While you wait for the forms to be returned to EMCN, you may be offered the opportunity to observe your chosen activity.
EMCN welcomes students from a variety of fields who are considering a practicum placement for their college or university courses. If you are interested, please enquire at your place of study as EMCN staff agree on practicum placements directly with educational institutions.
Volunteers work at EMCN offices:
- 11713 - 82 Street
- 8914 - 118 Avenue
- #200, Tower II, Millbourne Market Mall (38 Avenue and Millwoods Road)
- 10030 - 167 Street NW
- 12023 - 81 Street NW
- Schools and outreach locations around Edmonton.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES & APPLICATION
People across Edmonton reach out to us to volunteer and be a part of the work we do.
Do you want to get to know new people? Are you willing to unpack your preconceptions and engage in a mutual learning experience? Are you a newcomer yourself and want to walk with others in their settlement journey? Are you open to working with people from diverse cultures?