Program for Internationally Educated Accounting Professionals
ABP facilitates the professional accreditation and labour market access of internationally educated accountants through training which meets local business demand by developing participants’ English language proficiency and assisting in their adapting and improving of previously learned skills to Canadian Standards..
The success of ABP is due to the strategic partnership of NAIT (Northern Alberta Institute of Technology), Alberta Human Services, and EMCN (Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers).
For more information call 780-421-7400 or email: ABP@emcn.ab.ca
- Thinking of applying?
Who is ABP for?
ABP is open to:
• Graduates of a degree program from an international institution with significant study and experience in the accounting field
• Landed immigrants or new Canadian Citizen
• Alberta permanent residents
• Those with a language proficiency of CLBA 6 or higher in all areas: reading, writing, speaking and listening
• Someone with high motivation and commitment to completing the program
When does ABP begin?
We offer 1 program each year:
• Program begins in September of every year
Is there a deadline for applications?
Yes. The Deadline is:
• September program application deadline: May 30th
How long is ABP?
The program is: • 12 months, full time
What happens during ABP?
11 months in ABP includes: • In-class at the Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers for 4 months (4oo hours) developing and enhancing English language and business communication skills, and computer skills • In-class at NAIT for 6 months (550 hours) adding to, and “Canadianizing” accounting skills • 2 months of supported job search
What do you get in the end?
Graduates of ABP receive: • Increased and refreshed accounting knowledge • Awareness of Canadian standards, laws, workplace norms and expectations • Ability to more effective communicate in the English language • Increased computer skills in the areas of MS Office and Simply Accounting • Awareness of the labour market trends and increase in your ability to conduct a successful job search • Professional recognition and membership in a Canadian association recognized worldwide • Certification from NAIT with 14 of 20 courses towards NAIT’s Accelerated Accounting Diploma
What are ABP’s employment success rates?
ABP has consistent strong employment outcomes: • Our goal is to have 75% participants employed in the engineering field within 6 months of program’s conclusion • Previous years have seen success rates of 80% or higher with the most recent graduates having reached 93% success rate
Where do ABP graduates find jobs and what do they do?
ABP graduates find work in many different places and in many different roles: • Working in the public sector, private sector, and with governments • Working as junior accountants, financial accountants, financial analysts, accounting technicians, and accounting assistants
How do you get more information?
All interested applicants are requires to write a basic accounting fundamentals examination in order to determine application eligibility
The next examination dates are:
Tuesday, April 14, 2015: 1:00PM
Thursday, April 16, 2015: 10:00AM
Tuesday, April 21, 2015: 1:00PM
Thursday, April 23, 2015: 10:00AM
Tuesday, April 28, 2015: 1:00PM
Thursday, April 30, 2015: 10:00AM
Tuesday, May 5, 2015: 1:00PM
Thursday, May 7, 2015: 6:00PM
Tuesday, May 12, 2015: 1:00PM
Thursday, May 14, 2015: 10:00AM
Tuesday, May 19, 2015: 1:00PM
Thursday, May 21, 2015: 6:00PM
Tuesday, May 26, 2015: 1:00PM
Thursday, May 28, 2015: 10:00AM
*Please note, the examination takes approximately 2 hours to complete. Please bring the following items with you to the examination:
For more information, and to register to take the examination please call: 780-945-2288, or 780-421-7400, or email ABP@emcn.ab.ca
- Thinking of hiring?
Connecting you to skilled, experienced and job-ready employees
This 11-month program, delivered in partnership with NAIT and Alberta Human Services, is a unique program in both Alberta and Canada. The Purpose of ABP is to provide a form of skills-enhancement bridging to Canadian standards and enhance labour market access for internationally-educated accountants. Since 2003, ABP has successfully bridged over 200 graduates into the accounting field in Canada..
ABP graduates have:
• Acquired Certification from NAIT with 14 of 20 courses towards Accelerated Accounting Diploma • Awareness of Canadian standards, laws, workplace norms and expectations s • More effective English language (workplace) communication • Student Membership with CPA
Recruiting an ABP graduate is good business:
• ABP graduates are employment-ready, highly motivated, and are located locally • ABP graduates give your business a competitive advantage in the global market of today • ABP graduates have international education and are highly experienced professionals with “Canadianized” skills
ABP graduates benefit your workplace by:
• Having acquired skills and knowledge of Canadian standards, laws and workplace norms • Possessing specialized skills and experiences unique to internationally educated professionals important for new market development • Providing support for policies of equal opportunity employment and multiculturalism • Minimizing your re-training costs
Is there a cost involved to recruiting from ABP?:
There is no cost involved for employers.
How to access the graduates of ABP:
For more information on hiring our graduates, please contact: Laurie Hauer, Bridging and Training Programs Stakeholder Relations Coordinator 780-945-2294 or email: email@example.com