The community development team supports ethno-cultural communities to develop their own capacity to address community challenges. We believe that all communities have, within themselves, the capacity to build strong futures for all of their members.
1. Entrepreneurship: EMCN, in partnership with the Wildman Institute, developed and facilitates a small-business coaching program to assist immigrants in developing and implementing small business plass Entrepreneurs are taught how to write business plans, market their businesses, build networks, and access available resources.
2. Community Partnership Group: This group aims to increase communication and relationships between communities by providing an opportunity for them to network, create solutions, and provide support for their own communities.
3. Capacity Building: In partnership with Action for Healthy Communities, Multicultural Coalition, and Alberta Cultural Community Development staff, EMCN provides workships throughout the year including Community Capacity Assessments, Organizational Development, Project Management, and Reporting Evaluations and Outcomes.
4. Collective Kitchen: A group created to empower men and women to build capacity within their respective communities, access resources, practice their English skills, and improve budgeting skills while acting as a support network for one another.
5. Saturday Youth Programming: Provides academic support, recreational fun, workshops, and field trips directed at youth of all ages. The program runs during the school year and with the support of volunteers, provides support in academics for newcomer youth and Canadian-born children from diverse communities.
6. I-WIN Program: The vision of I-WIN is for immigrant women in Edmonton to quickly access the tools they need; allowing them to achieve their goals and participate fully in Canadian economic, cultural and social life. This will look different for each woman, but it is rooted in the power of joining together to pool experience, knowledge and resources. The goal of I-WIN is to empower women to create the lives they envision for themselves in Canada. This is achieved by connecting women to each other and to the broader community; energizing and supporting women in their journey, and providing them with the tools to realize their talents and passions. This program is free, and free childcare is provided. Click here for more detail.