Thank you for considering the Edmonton Mennonite Centre for Newcomers as a place to share your volunteer talents and energy. Volunteers are a big part of our life at the agency, where we welcome newcomers and help them build new lives in Edmonton. Our volunteers come from diverse walks of life and they all want to make a difference. Many tell us they love discovering new experiences and making friends from around the world.
EMCN works according to the principles of social justice, compassion, responsibility and appreciation for diversity. Our programs promote full and democratic participation in all aspects of life with fellowship, hope and love.
What We Can Offer You
We hope your experience volunteering with EMCN will be a warm one. We will match you with an appropriate volunteer assignment. If it is a poor fit, we will sit with you and consider other options. The benefits of volunteering with EMCN include:
- Helping newcomers learn English
- Meeting people from other cultures
- Making friends
- Learning new skill
- Gaining valuable experience
- Building a welcoming, multicultural Edmonton
- Making a difference!
What We Expect of You
We expect you to:
- Treat all clients, staff and volunteers with respect
- Volunteer for at least 3 months
- Be punctual and keep your commitments
- Be willing to take direction
- Communicate and work well with agency staff
Forms You Need to Complete
Applying for a volunteer position has become more involved during the past decade. To volunteer at EMCN, you must:
- Sign a Volunteer Agreement
- Be in harmony with the EMCN Mission, Values, Confidentiality Statement & Code of Ethics for Volunteers
- Provide the names and contact details of 2 references
- Complete police and child intervention clearances
While you wait for the forms to be returned to EMCN, you may be offered the opportunity to observe your chosen activity.
Available volunteer positions are posted on our website. Please click the button (Volunteer Positions) below to access the available positions. EMCN also welcomes students from a variety of fields who are considering a practicum placement for their college or university courses. If you are interested, please enquire at your place of study as EMCN staff agree practicum placements directly with educational institutions.
Volunteers work at EMCN offices at:
- 11713-82 Street,
- 8914-118 Avenue,
- #200, Tower II, Millbourne Market Mall (38 Avenue and Millwoods Road), and
- Schools and outreach locations around Edmonton
For details of what you can do to help, click: