EMCN Programs for Men
Find the right program for you and your family. EMCN offers a variety of programs to help Newcomers find work, learn English and get involved in their communities. Contact us if you have any questions.
The Safe Families program enhances settlement and integration in to the Canadian society by understanding the values that will allow one to meet the expectations of settling and integrating smoothly. It is a program for newcomer men and boys. It focuses on sharing conversations and knowledge about healthy relationships and preventing domestic violence.
Global Garden engages newcomer and Canadian-born gardeners to work together and learn from each other by growing vegetables, flowers and fruit on our plot at Edmonton Urban Farm.
- Meeting new people, and working as part of a team towards a common goal
- Spending time outdoors and being active
- Sharing their gardening knowledge and experience, and learning from others
- Opportunities to harvest and take home produce from the garden
therapeutic & counselling services
Because of the upheaval that comes with moving to and settling in a new country, newcomers bring challenges that make them vulnerable to high stress, isolation, role shifts, and financial difficulties that can result in marital strife and high rates of parent-child conflict. Newcomers sometimes bring with them trauma related to war, conflict and deprivation which often results in symptoms of PTSD, depression or anxiety, limiting their abilities to successfully integrate. Difficulties of acculturation and expectations for themselves and their families back home also result symptoms of depression and anxiety.
EMCN offers therapeutic and counselling services with a unique, holistic and community-oriented approach.
Putting Down Roots – Community Capacity Building
Putting Down Roots works in partnership with ethnocultural community groups and organizations to develop their capacities and access resources to meet their goals.
- Support to identify community needs and priorities, and plan ways to address them
- Program design, delivery and evaluation support
- Coaching and workshops in board development, strategic planning, grant writing, community engagement, volunteer recruitment, and more